team: Tarleton Texans (10-9, 3-3 WAC) vs. California Baptiste Lancers (11-8, 3-3 WAC)
Where: riverside, california
Arena: CBU Event Center
Date and time: Saturday 9:00 pm CT
Streaming Platform: ESPN+
wireless: Tarleton Sports Network (Kyle Cruz)
- This is the fourth meeting in the last two years. The Lancers are 3-0 in the series, with each game being decided by less than 10 points.
- At last year’s conference, Freddie Hicks There were 21 points, 7 boards and 3 blocks. Noah McDavid He had 15 points (6-8 FG), six rebounds and two steals. There were a total of 76 FTAs in the game.
- CBU have won 3 of their last 4 matches after starting 0-2 in WAC play. Twelve of the 19 games were by less than 10 points.
- Tarleton and CBU are evenly matched in WAC play, both 3-3, tied for seventh. They are back-to-back in the WAC Resume Seeding System, with Tarleton in 7th and CBU in 8th.
- Tarleton is looking for the first true road win (0-8). The two wins at Paradise Jam were neutral site games. The Tarletons (8-0) are one of two WAC teams undefeated at home (Seattle United).
- A win on Saturday would give Tarleton his best conference start since joining the WAC with a 4-3 record in seven games. They went 3-4 last year and started 2-5 in 2020-21.
- Over the past eight games (Tarleton 5-3), the Texans have allowed opponents 70+ points just once, forcing an average of 65.2 PPG on 40.5 FG% and 15.6 turnovers.
- Tarleton whistled far fewer on the road, averaging 21.4 FTAs in eight actual road games versus averaging 27.3 FTAs per game in Stephenville. Overall, Tarleton is 8-3 with FTAs above 25 and 2-6 below. Tarleton has 25.6 FTAs per game, third in the nation.
- With a slower pace, Tarleton (11th in the WAC in scoring) is actually more efficient offensively, 5th in the WAC in shooting (.457), and the second-best average turnover margin (+5.42) of 4 ties for 7th with the fewest turnovers. in the country. CBU ranks 12th in points and 12th in FG%.
- The Texans are averaging 9.8 steals per game, the best mark in the WAC and the 12th best average in the nation. They are 11th in the nation in forced turnovers per game with 18.1. In Tarleton’s final game, they had more turnovers than their opponents for only four times this year (0-4).
- Freddie Hicks – Hicks returned from injury after six weeks after last playing for Baylor on 6 December. After his return, he played 39 minutes and had 14 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 4 steals. He led the team in points and rebounds all season.
- Lou Williams – Over the past two games, Williams is averaging 14.5 points and 8.0 rebounds. That year he made a 29-of-70 (.414) from 3-point land, the 15th-highest 3-point-percentage in the WAC and the 19th-highest percentage (minimum 20 3PAs) in the conference.
- Shamir Bogues – The Bogues just barely set a career streak of double-digit scoring streaks in three games. Over his last four years, he has averaged 14.3 points on 22/38 (.579) shooting and 7.5 rebounds. He has played 76 of 80 minutes in his last two matches.
numbers to know
Five: on top of WAC leaderboard for steals per gameTarleton has three in the top five and two in the first three, Shamir Bogues The second is the 1.74 self-propelled gun, Jacory Smith 3rd at 1.71 SPG. Freddie Hicks Tie for 5th at 1.50 steals.
70: The Texans are 9-1, so the number 70 usually means a win for Tarleton. Scored 70+ points this season, 1-8 if less than 70. Tarleton is also 10-1 when leading at half time and 9-2 when beating his opponents.
7: Look for Saturday’s defensive game. Both teams are ranked in the top 7. Defensive Scoring in WAC, and both are in the bottom three in scoring offense. California Baptiste is third best in average points allowed with 64.5 and Tarleton is seventh with 67.2 PPG.
3: Lancers have three WAC top rebounderHunter Goodrick is 5th with 7.1 RPG, Timothy Igoffe is 7th with 6.8 RPG, and Riley Battin is 13th with 5.9 RPG. Freddie Hicks Leading the team in 6.4 RPG, 9th best return in the conference matters.
What’s next for Tarleton
Tarleton will be home for two games against Utah Tech and the Grand Canyon. The Texans will host Trailblazers on Thursday at 7pm CT.