Maryland’s Democrats will take a new lead in the House of Representatives when the General Assembly convenes next week.
House Speaker Adrian A. Jones (D-Baltimore County) announced on Thursday that he has appointed Rep. Mark Corman (D-Montgomery) to the House Majority Leader, the third-most powerful position in the House.
Corman, who was first elected to Congress in 2014, succeeds former Congressman Eric Ludke (D), who resigned to become Chief Legislator for Governor Wes Moore.
“Mark is the right choice for the House Majority Leader,” Jones said in a statement.
Jones announced a number of other appointments on Thursday.
Retired Rep. Talmadge (D-Baltimore) will be replaced by Rep. Jazz Lewis (D-Prince George constituency) as the whip of the House Majority. Lewis previously served as caucus speaker for the House Democrats.
“Jazz has done an excellent job of bringing the members together as Caucus Chair,” Jones said. It’s a natural fit for making sure members are on the same page.”
Rep. Emily Shetty (D-Montgomery) replaces Lewis as chairman of the caucus.
“Emily has quickly earned the trust of her colleagues at the Democratic caucuses,” Jones said in a statement. “She is clearly ready to lead the caucus operations and build on our success.”
Rep. Nick Charles (Prince George) will become Vice-Chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, and Rep. Melissa Wells (Baltimore) will become Assistant Majority Leader. Dell. Darryl Burns (Prince George’s), Regina Boyce (Baltimore City), and Vaughan Stewart (Montgomery) become deputy chiefs of staff.
Jones also announced several changes to the committee’s leadership. The new House subcommittee chairs and vice-chairs, all Democrats, are:
- Stephanie Smith (Baltimore City) – Education and Economic Development Subcommittee Chair
- Cathi Forbes (Baltimore County) – Chair, Pensions Subcommittee
- Shaneka Henson (Anne Arundel) – Vice Chair, Pension Subcommittee
- Jazz Lewis (Prince George’s) – Chair of Human Resources Subcommittee and Vice Chair of Capital Budget Subcommittee
- Emily Shetty (Montgomery) – Vice Chair, Health and Social Services Subcommittee
- Julian Ivey (Prince George’s) – Vice Chair, Public Safety and Administration Subcommittee
- Courtney Watson (Howard) – Vice Chair, Transport and Environment Subcommittee
Environment and Transportation Committee
- Sara Love (Montgomery) – Chair, Automotive and Transportation Subcommittee
- Vaughn Stewart (Montgomery) – Chair, Land Use and Ethics Subcommittee
- Regina Boyce (City of Baltimore) – Chair, Natural Resources, Agriculture and Open Spaces Subcommittee
Economic Affairs Committee
- Lily Qi (Montgomery) – Chair of the Business Regulation Subcommittee
- David Fraser Hidalgo (Montgomery) – Chairman, General Insurance Subcommittee
- Brian Crosby (St. Mary’s) – Chair, Public Utilities Subcommittee
- Sheree Sample-Hughes (Lower Shore) – Chair, Workers Compensation Subcommittee
- Andrea Harrison (Prince George’s) – Vice Chair, Alcoholic Beverages Subcommittee
Health and Government Steering Committee
- Ken Kerr (Frederick) – Chair, Government Operations and Medical Facilities
- Sandy Rosenberg (City of Baltimore) – Chair, Health Workers and Long Term Care
- Ariana Kelly (Montgomery) – Chair, Public Health and Minority Health Disparities
- Nicole Williams (Prince George’s) – chair, public safety
way and means committee
- Jessica Feldmark (Howard) – Chairman, Local Revenue Service
- Darryl Barnes (Prince George’s) – Chairman, Revenues
Jones also named new House leaders for several joint legislative committees.
- Tony Bridges (Baltimore), Speaker of the House Spending Affordability Committee
- Jared Solomon (Montgomery), Chairman of the House Joint Audit and Evaluation Committee
- Jen Terrassa (Howard), House Speaker of the Joint Committee on Children, Youth and Families
- Anne Kaiser (Montgomery), House Speaker of the Joint Committee on Cybersecurity, Information Technology and Biotechnology
- Dalya Attar (City of Baltimore), House Speaker of the Joint Committee on Fair Practice and State Pensions
- Darryl Burns (Prince George), House Speaker of the Joint Committee on Federal Relations
- Veronica Turner (Prince George), Chairman of the House Joint Protocols Committee
- Courtney Watson (Howard), House Speaker of the Joint Committee on Public Funds Management
- Lorig Charkoudian (Montgomery), Chairman of the House Joint Committee on Unemployment Insurance Oversight
- Sheree Sample Hughes (Lower Shore), House Speaker of the Joint Committee on Workers’ Compensation Benefits and Insurance Oversight
- Robin Lewis (City of Baltimore), House Speaker of the Joint Committee on Program Open Space and Agricultural Conservation.
A complete list of committee member appointments to date for the 2023 session can be found here.